Monday, April 9, 2007

Installation

What Happens to Us?

Ili Rojas

Public Art Seminar Spring 2007

The first poster was hung up on the bus station next to the memorial illustrated on the poster. This was conducted Saturday March 10, 2007. I tried to wait until the area wasn’t so crowded simply because I was getting suspicious looks. Once the poster finally went up, the few people that were there looked annoyed, as if I had somehow invaded their space. Because of this, I felt uncomfortable approaching them about this poster. The poster was still up when I passed by yesterday evening, Monday, March 12, 2007.

I waited until Monday morning, 10 am, to put the second poster up because it had been spring break and no one was on campus. I felt a lot more at ease putting this one up, and as soon as I did I was kindly approached by several students. They all knew this had to be done for a class, so I explained to them what the project was about. The most surprising response was when someone said they had never seen that memorial. Others said that the poster could come off as war protest.

My intent was to get people to think. Whether it sparks war issues, or even troy issues, this poster is bound to stir some kind of emotion. I think it was successful in doing just that. I especially like how, when hung up, my project became very real, very dramatic.







No comments: